3 things to do for Plantar Fasciitis
Plantar Fasciitis, What is it?
The plantar fascia is the flat band of tissue (ligament) that connects your heel bone to your toes and supports the arch of your foot. If you strain your plantar fascia, it can get weak, swollen, tender and inflamed. Pain is presented on the heel and bottom of the foot and usually occurs when standing or walking. Plantar fasciitis is caused by straining the ligament that supports your arch and repeated strain or activity can cause tiny tears in the ligament. Plantar fasciitis is the most common cause of heel/foot pain.
What Can You Do About It?
- Try to refrain from repetitive or intense activity such as; excessive walking, running, jumping.
- Ice 10 to 15 minutes 3-4 times a day to help decrease inflammation.
- Freeze a bottle of water and use it to roll under the arch of the foot for 10 minutes at the end of the day to decrease inflammation and stretch the tissue.
- Stretch the muscles and fascia throughout the day to help reduce the inflammation and stiffness. Below are 3 simple stretches to do to help with plantar fasciitis pain.
- The Great Toe Stretch – Take your big toe in your hand and bend it upward, enough to feel a nice stretch in the bottom of your foot through your arch. Hold this stretch for 30 seconds and repeat 4 times per day.
- The Gastroc Stretch – Keep the back leg (affected side) straight, heel on the floor. Lean forward towards the wall until a stretch is felt in the calf. Hold the stretch for 30 seconds and repeat 4 times per day.
- The Soleus Stretch – Stand with both knees bent in a lunge stance with heels on the floor. Lean towards the wall until stretch is felt in lower calf. Hold the stretch for 30 seconds and repeat 4 times per day.
What can I do if my pain doesn’t go away?
If you are still having issues after doing the above recommendations, give us a call at (208)205-9559. We can help!!! We have a number of fast acting techniques to help decrease your pain and keep it from reoccurring. We will get you better faster and feeling better longer. Kauai Therapy & Wellness takes most health insurance plans. No insurance, or high deductibles/copays? No problem- we have affordable programs specifically designed for you!