Falls among the elderly are prevalent, dangerous, and can diminish their ability to lead an active and independent life. About one in three seniors above age 65, and nearly one in two seniors over age 80, will fall at least once this year, many times with disastrous consequences. Physical therapists can help prevent falls with evaluation and development of individualized treatment plans including exercises to improve strength, mobility, and balance.
Risk factors associated with falls:
- Conditions associated with aging
- Muscle weakness
- Difficulty with balance or walking
- Vision problem
- Vertigo (being off-balance and dizzy)
- Pre-existing medical conditions that limit mobility, such as Parkinson disease, stroke, or diabetes
- Conditions that cause confusion (dementia, Alzheimer’s, etc…)
- Being on more than four medications at the same time
- Use of an assistive walking device
- Environmental hazards (e.g., throw rugs, pets)
- Difficulty completing activities of daily living
- Low blood pressure
Maintaining physical activity is critical in helping to prevent falls. Physical therapists recommend activities of any fitness level, including gardening, line dancing, and yoga to help improve balance and movement.
Your balance may also be improved with exercises that strengthen the ankle, knee, and hip muscles and with exercises that improve the function of the vestibular (balance) system.
Call Today to Get the Help You Deserve
Our team of specialists is enthusiastic and fully prepared to assist you in reducing the risk of falls. Reach out to our team today if you or your loved one would like to undergo a comprehensive fall prevention assessment.
Request An Appointment
Please fill out this form and
we will contact you about scheduling.
excellent staff! highly recommended!
Kauai Therapy and Wellness is seriously the best place. They have knowledgeable staff and they listen to your needs and concerns. I will always use Kauai for myself and my family in the future.